Wellington College Belfast (WCB) was established in 1989 after Annadale Boys School and Carolan Girls School merged. The College is named after the first Duke of Wellington and is co-educational.
Wellington offers students a wide range of academic subjects, alongside various extracurricular pursuits including art, drama and music. WCB has high expectations of its pupils and promotes a competitive spirit as part of its wider values.
To learn more about Wellington College Belfast, watch this short promotional video:
Address: Wellington College, 18 Carolan Road, Belfast, BT7 3HE
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 02890 642 539
School Type: Co-Educational Grammar
Number of pupils: 770 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 8: 110 (approx.)
Open Day Date: January
Exam Date: November/December
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
When the previous eleven plus process was abolished without a replacement, 34 schools joined together to form the Post Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC), an unregulated system that uses the same standardised entrance assessment to determine admission.
WCB is a member of the PPTC and so admission to the school is determined by student performance in the Transfer Test. The school regularly reports to be oversubscribed at Year 8, so where there are more applicants than available places, the following oversubscription criteria is used, giving priority to:
For more information on the admissions process or oversubscription criteria at WCB, email the school, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02890 642 539.
Before applying for a Year 8 place at Wellington College Belfast, parents are advised to attend the school’s open event, usually held in January. The school’s Principal gives a presentation and parents will have the opportunity to learn more about the College’s admissions process.
To register for a Year 8 place at WCB, parents need to complete the registration form on the PPTC website. Students only need to be registered for the test once, as each school in the PPTC uses the same entrance assessment.
The Wellington College Transfer Test is set by the exam board, GL Assessment. All children will sit two test papers in maths and English. Questions on both papers are multiple-choice and students will be given practice sections before each paper to familiarise them with the exam layout.
The maths paper is made up of 45 questions and lasts for 45 minutes. The questions are based on the school’s curriculum and pupils will also be tested on some elementary logic, mathematical facts, properties or geometric names. Most questions have been written either to assess the understanding of mathematical concepts and processes, or to assess the use of mathematics as a practical skill in a range of everyday situations.
The English paper is made up of 60 questions and lasts for 50 minutes. The paper begins with three reading passages, followed by comprehension questions, which make up 60% of the total mark. This is then followed by spelling and punctuation questions, followed by general questions, making up the remaining 40% of the total mark.
Scores for both papers are age standardised and results are posted to parents in January.
A revision plan is key to success for the Transfer Test and should be implemented well ahead of exam day. To prepare for the test, students should make use practice test papers. The Transfer Test requires pupils to answer questions quickly, within the allocated time. Our 11 Plus practice tests are ideal for improving a student’s time management skills. They also provide students with an insight into the types of questions they could be asked in the exam.
To gives students the best chance of gaining a Year 8 place at Wellington College Belfast, we would specifically recommend the following resources:
English – practice tests
English – skill development worksheets
Maths – practice tests
Maths – skill development worksheets
The information provided about Wellington College Belfast was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.
© 2019 All rights Reserved.
N.N in KINGSTON, purchased 11+ Mathematics (Independent Schools) Pack 1 About 33 minutes ago