St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon is a co-educational grammar school located in Dungannon, County Tyrone. The school was founded in 1891 by Roman Catholic clergy and in 2003 it became an Academy when two single-sex St Patrick’s Academies merged.
St Patrick’s consistently performs well in exams and has a history of sporting success, winning various trophies across a range of physical activities. The school encourages its pupils to join at least one of the school’s extracurricular activities in an effort to promote pupil confidence and responsibility.
Address: St Patrick’s Academy, 37 Killymeal Road, Dungannon, County Tyrone, BT71 6DS
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 02887 727 400
School Type: Co-Educational Grammar School
Number of pupils: 1320 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 8: 208 (approx.)
Open Day Date: January
Exam Date: November/December
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
Currently, St Patrick’s Academy is one of 34 schools that make up the Post Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC). This is an unregulated system that uses the same standardised entrance assessment to determine admission.
To gain a place at St Patrick’s Academy Dungannon, students must sit the PPTC Transfer Test. All results from this test are banded and age standardised. Should there be more applicants than available places at St Patrick’s, the school will apply the following oversubscription criteria, giving priority to:
For more information about the St Patrick’s Academy admissions process, parents can contact the school directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on 02887 727 400.
Every January, St Patrick’s Academy hosts an Open Day for prospective pupils and parents to visit the school and sample a range of the Year 8 activities offered. The school recommends that parents attend the Open Day event before applying for a place for their child.
To apply for a Year 8 place at St Patrick’s Academy parents need to download and complete the registration form, which can be found on the PPTC website. Parents are only required to complete one form, as all schools within the PPTC use the same entrance assessment.
The St Patrick’s Academy Dungannon Transfer Test is set by the exam board GL Assessment.
Children will sit two test papers in English and Mathematics and all questions are multiple-choice. Both subjects are taught in all Northern Ireland primary schools, and so the tests aim to reflect the knowledge and skills developed by children in the school curriculum.
The English assessment paper requires the children to work through 60 questions in 50 minutes. The paper has three reading passages, each of which is followed by a number of comprehension questions, which make up 60% of the total mark. There are also a number of spelling questions and punctuation questions, which make up the remaining 40% of the total mark.
The maths paper requires children to work through 45 questions in 45 minutes. The questions are based on the school’s curriculum, but also includes some additional questions on basic logic, mathematical facts, properties and/or geometric names. Children taking the test should have an understanding of mathematical concepts, and how maths is used in daily life situations.
Scores for both papers are age standardised and parents will receive the results via post in the following January.
To increase the chance of success in the St Patrick’s Academy Transfer Test, students need to be organised and create a study plan. By outlining what needs to be studied and when, students won’t feel as anxious as the exam date approaches.
Practice test papers are a great way to prepare for the Transfer Test. Not only can they help improve time management but they familiarise students with the types of questions they may be asked on the day.
For the St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon Transfer Test, we would specifically recommend the following practice resources:
English – practice tests
English – skill development worksheets
Maths – practice tests
Maths – skill development worksheets
The information provided about St Patrick’s Academy Dungannon was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.
© 2019 All rights Reserved.
N.N in KINGSTON, purchased 11+ Mathematics (Independent Schools) Pack 1 About 37 minutes ago