The Tiffin schools are hugely competitive grammar schools, with over ten applicants for every Year 7 place, so students need to be fully prepared before the exam. To provide students with the best possible chance of gaining a place in Year 7 at these schools, we’ve put together a list of recommendations and advice for the Tiffin Stage 2 Exam.
Tiffin Stage 2 – English
The Stage 2 English exam consists of an open-answer reading comprehension and a writing test, similar to an independent school exam format.
In recent years, there has been allocated reading time for the comprehension passage before students could answer the questions. Extracts that have come up recently include a story of a woman who was hiking in the Rockies, a passage from Tom Brown’s School Days and a poem called ‘The Moment’ by Margaret Attwood.
Question formats included rewriting sections in the first person, explaining the meaning of words and plenty of long-form responses that required evidence to back them up. Our English papers, listed below, contain similar questions and passages. They also include detailed tutorial video explanations for every question.
The Writing task in previous years has included given story endings or specific requirements for how the story needs to be structured. For example, it could stipulate that certain items or objects need to be mentioned in the story. Our Writing Guide covers all known formats that have come up in the past.
Tiffin Stage 2 – Mathematics
The Maths exam contains a few arithmetic questions followed by plenty of challenging word problems, covering topics such as time zones, speed/distance/time, simultaneous equations and algebra.
The test is open answer and not multiple-choice. In terms of format, timing, question types and difficulty level, it’s going to be very similar to our independent school practice papers listed below.
- 11+ English – Standard Format – (Pack 5)
- 11+ English – Rewrite & Improve
11+ English – Complete Writing Guide (Covers all known writing categories that could come up in the Stage 2 test)
Full Practice Tests
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Problem Solving – Standard Format
- 11+ Mental Arithmetic – Standard Format
- 11+ Algebra – Standard Format
- 11+ Angles & Degrees – Standard Format
- 11+ BODMAS – Standard Format
- 11+ Estimation & Place Value – Standard Format
- 11+ Factors & Multiples – Standard Format
- 11+ Fractions, Decimals & Percentages – Standard Format
- 11+ Measurements – Standard Format
- 11+ Money – Standard Format
- 11+ Operations – Standard Format
- 11+ Perimeter, Area & Volume – Standard Format
- 11+ Position & Direction – Standard Format
- 11+ Probability – Standard Format
- 11+ Properties of Shapes – Standard Format
- 11+ Ratio & Proportion – Standard Format
- 11+ Reflection, Rotation & Symmetry – Standard Format
- 11+ Sequences – Standard Format
- 11+ Special Numbers – Standard Format
- 11+ Speed, Distance & Time – Standard Format
- 11+ Statistics – Standard Format
Get 10% off orders over £70 and 20% off orders over £250. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Why do some of the recommendations above show me independent school papers?
The main difference between independent and grammar school papers is the question format. Independent schools usually assess with standard format questions, which means students need to write out full answers. Grammar schools usually use multiple-choice format questions.
Whilst the Tiffin schools are grammar schools, they actually use the independent school (standard) format for their second-round exam, which is why standard format papers are included in the Stage 2 recommendations above.