Table of Contents
Located on the Wirral in Merseyside, West Kirby Grammar School (WKGS) is a selective grammar for girls aged 11-18 with boys admitted into the school’s Sixth Form. Founded in 1913, the school achieved academy status in 2012.
Over 1,100 pupils are divided across six houses: Furniss, Gonner, Hudson, Paton, Stewart and Wallis. These houses compete throughout each school year across a range of events, including music shows and sports.
For an insight into academic life at West Kirby Grammar School, watch this short promotional video:
11 Plus Exam Information for West Kirby Grammar School
Address: West Kirby Grammar School Graham Road, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 5DP
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 0151 632 3449
School Type: Girls’ Grammar
Number of pupils: 1,193 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 180
Open Day Dates: September and May
Exam Date: September
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
West Kirby Grammar School 11 Plus Admissions
West Kirby Grammar welcomes pupils from the Wirral and surrounding areas to apply for a place in Year 7. With 180 places available, admission is based on student performance in the eleven plus exam. Those children who attend a Wirral-based primary will take the test at their school, while pupils who live outside of the county are able to take the test at one of the four Wirral selective schools.
The 11 Plus exam is administered by the Wirral Consortium of Schools the and follows the GL Assessment exam format. Parents should be aware that good performance in the exam does not guarantee a place at the school, due to oversubscription.
In the event of there being more applications than there are places, the school will apply the following criteria, giving priority to:
- Looked after, or previously looked after, girls
- Girls with a valid medical reason, supported by a doctor’s letter
- Girls eligible for Free School Meals (up to 15 places)
- Girls who have a sister at the school at the time of application
- Shortest distance from a girl’s permanent residence to the school
The school’s full admissions policy is available on the school’s website.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to West Kirby Grammar School
West Kirby Grammar is one of four Wirral-based schools that follow a coordinated scheme for secondary school admissions, maintained by Wirral Council, the Local Authority (LA).
The LA recommends parents apply for a Year 7 grammar place online, via its admissions form. Late applications will be directly dealt with by Wirral LA.
West Kirby Grammar School Catchment Area
Does West Kirby Grammar School have a catchment area?
Yes, West Kirby Grammar School has a catchment area with priority based on location and distance from the school. The distance will be measured from the child’s home to the nearest school gate via the shortest road route, unless a footpath, considered by the school to be a safe walking route, can be used as a measurement.
West Kirby Grammar School 11 Plus Exam Format
The 11 Plus exam at West Kirby Grammar School consists of two tests that will cover Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning (including Spatial Reasoning) and Mathematics.
Each test will take around one hour to complete and contains a mixture of questions from each subject. Test results are age-standardised to ensure that no pupil has an advantage based on their age.
How to Prepare for the West Kirby Grammar School 11 Plus Exam?
At Exam Papers Plus, we highly recommend preparing for the 11+ well ahead of the exam date. The sooner children start studying for the tests, the more time they will have to improve their overall performance.
Parent should create a study timetable with their child to ensure that they cover everything they will need to know. To give students the best chance of gaining a Year 7 place at West Kirby Grammar, we would also recommend introducing practice exam papers early into their additional study routine. Not only do practice papers enable parents to identify their child’s strengths and weaknesses, but they can help them become familiar with the exam layout and the types of questions they may be asked.
As the exam date gets closer, parents should encourage their child to do timed practice papers under exam conditions. This will help students get used to answering questions under pressure, as will be required in the exam.
Exam Practice Papers for the West Kirby Grammar School 11 Plus Exam
We highly recommend the following practice tests to help your child prepare for the West Kirby Grammar School Exam:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 1
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 2
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill Specific Practice
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Anagrams
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Analogies
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Codes
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Compound Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Embedded Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Form a Word
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Insert a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Move a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Shuffled Sentences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Synonyms
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Completion
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Match
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Opposites
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Puzzles
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Relationships
Full Practice Tests
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in West Kirby Grammar School 11+ past papers. The information provided about West Kirby Grammar School was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.