Table of Contents
Sutton Grammar School is a selective grammar school for boys located in Sutton, South London. Girls are welcome to attend the school’s Sixth Form. Over 900 students aged 11-18 attend the school, which was founded in 1899.
The school challenges its pupils with a taxing curriculum, while encouraging its students to participate in a range of extracurricular activities, which include sport, music, drama, debate and a Combined Cadet Force.
11 Plus Exam Information for Sutton Grammar School
Address: Sutton Grammar School, Manor Lane, Sutton SM1 4AS
County: London (Borough of Sutton)
Admissions Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 8642 3821
School Type: Boys’ Grammar
Number of pupils: 930 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 135
Open Day Date: September
Exam Dates: September (part one) and October (part two)
Exam Board Type: Part One: Multiple-Choice Maths and English (SET) / Part Two: Open Answer Maths and English
Sutton Grammar School 11 Plus Admissions
Sutton Grammar School is part of Sutton’s Coordinated Admissions Scheme and, as such, admission to the school is determined by pupil performance in the Selective Eligibility Test (SET), similar to the standard 11 Plus exam. Competition for the 150 places available in Year 7 is very high, so the school encourages prospective students and their parents to attend one of their open events, which usually take place in September. At these events, you can learn more about the admissions process and have an opportunity to tour the school and speak to staff.
In the likely event of Sutton Grammar School being oversubscribed in Year 7, the school applies these policies, in this priority order:
- Looked after, or previously looked after boys
- 75 places by rank order of the scores in the selection tests where the home address of the boy is in one of the postcodes (SM1-7, KT4, KT17, CR0 4–, CR4)
- 60 places (plus any remaining places in criterion 2 if the number of qualified boys in criterion 2 is less than the 75 on offer) by rank order of the scores in the selection tests from any home address
- Proximity of the boy’s home address from the school (where scores are equal)
Sutton Grammar School adheres to a strict admission policy in Year 7, so parents are advised to read the policy before applying for a place.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to Sutton Grammar School
Parents who wish to register their son to sit the SET (part one) must complete a Supplementary Form, which can be found on the school’s website when registration is open. Sutton Grammar School is part of the Pan-London Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme. To apply for a place at the school, parents must complete the Common Application Form (CAF) issued by their Local Authority. Those who live in London, or Surrey, can complete the CAF online.
If students are successful in the SET, they will be invited to sit Sutton Grammar’s Second Stage Entrance Examination. Should they pass this test, parents must include Sutton Grammar on the CAF for pupils to be eligible for consideration for a Year 7 place.
Sutton Grammar School Catchment Area
Does Sutton Grammar School have a catchment area?
Yes, Sutton Grammar School has a catchment area with priority based on location and distance from the school.
Sutton Grammar School 11 Plus Exam Format
In recent years, Sutton Grammar School’s eleven plus tests have been split into two stages:
- Stage 1: Maths and English, both multiple-choice and each last approximately 45 minutes.
This SET is run in conjunction with other local schools in Sutton. The result of the SET determines whether or not a boy is eligible for the second stage test.
- Stage 2: Maths and English. Neither of these is multiple-choice. Maths consists of standard format questions. The English paper is a Writing task, which requires a response to some form of prompt.
How to Prepare for the Sutton Grammar School 11 Plus Exam?
The five selective grammar schools in Sutton are particularly cautious when it comes to revealing information about their selection examinations. Because of this, and the extensive competition for places in Year 7, both children and parents can experience anxiety and stress ahead of the tests.
However, with the help of Exam Papers Plus, parents can give their son the best possible chance of securing a Year 7 place at Sutton Grammar School. By creating a revision plan early and introducing online practice papers, parents can identify any weaker areas that require additional work before the exam.
Practice Exam Papers for the Sutton Grammar School 11 Plus Exam
Sutton Grammar School has reported that there are over 10 applications for each Year 7 place, so for students to get ahead of the competition, we would recommend using the following practice tests, which have been specifically designed to help students prepare for the Selective Eligibility Test:
Stage 1 SET – Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 1
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 2
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 3
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 4
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 5
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 6
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 7
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 8
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 9
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 10
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 11
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 12
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 13
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 14
- 11+ Selective Eligibility Test (SET) Practice Test 15
Targeted Practice for the Stage 1 SET English Test
Skill Specific Practice
- 11+ Sutton + Kingston: Prefixes and Suffixes
- 11+ Sutton + Kingston: Synonyms and Antonyms
- 11+ Sutton + Kingston: Spelling
- 11+ Sutton + Kingston: Odd One Out
- 11+ Sutton: Homophones
- 11+ Sutton: Language
- 11+ Sutton: Cloze
- 11+ Sutton: Comprehension
Targeted Practice for the Stage 1 SET Mathematics Test
Full Practice Tests
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Algebra
- 11+ Angles & Degrees
- 11+ BODMAS
- 11+ Estimation & Place Value
- 11+ Factors & Multiples
- 11+ Fractions, Decimals & Percentages
- 11+ Measurements
- 11+ Operations
- 11+ Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 11+ Position & Direction
- 11+ Probability
- 11+ Problem Solving – Pack 1
- 11+ Problem Solving – Pack 2
- 11+ Properties of Shapes
- 11+ Ratio & Proportion
- 11+ Reflection, Rotation & Symmetry
- 11+ Sequences
- 11+ Special Numbers
- 11+ Statistics
Mathematics (open answer)
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Mathematics – Standard Format – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Mathematics – Standard Format – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Mathematics – Standard Format – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Mathematics – Standard Format – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
English (open answer)
- 11+ English – Writing Prompts
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Complete Writing Guide (Covers all known writing categories that could come up in the Stage 2 test)
Why do some of the recommendations above show me independent school papers?
The main difference between independent and grammar school papers is the question format. Independent schools usually assess with standard format questions, which means students need to write out full answers. Grammar schools usually use multiple-choice format questions.
Whilst Sutton Grammar School is a grammar school, they actually use the independent school (standard) format for their second round exam, which is why standard format papers are included in the Stage 2 recommendations above.
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Sutton Grammar School 11+ past papers. The information provided about Sutton Grammar School was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post. Exam Papers Plus is an independent publisher of high quality practice tests and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sutton Grammar School.