Table of Contents
Based in Edmonton, Greater London, The Latymer School is a selective, co-educational grammar. Founded in 1624, it is the only grammar school in Enfield and currently teaches over 1,300 pupils aged 11-18. In recent years, The Latymer School has featured near the top of league tables and is considered one of the UK’s best state schools.
Pupils are split across six houses that compete with each other throughout the school year in a variety of competitions including drama, arts and sport. The winning house lays claim to the house trophy, the Dormer Shield.
11 Plus Exam Information for The Latymer School
Address: Latymer School, Haselbury Road, London N9 9TN
County: Hertfordshire/London Borough of Enfield
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 0208 807 4037
School Type: Co-Educational Grammar
Number of pupils: 1,369
Number of Places in Year 7: 186
Open Day Date: June
Exam Dates: September
Exam Board Type: Part One: GL Assessment / Part Two: set by the school
The Latymer School 11 Plus Admissions
Admission to The Latymer School for Year 7 is by academic selection, following an 11 Plus exam. The school receives over 10 applications for every Year 7 place. Parents and prospective students are encouraged to attend one of the school’s tours to ensure that Latymer is a good fit for the pupil before applying for a place.
In the likely event that there are more applicants than available places in Year 7, the school uses the following oversubscription criteria, giving priority to:
- Pupils with an Education Health & Care Plan
- A looked after child or previously looked after child
- A maximum of 20 applicants from the ‘Inner Area’ who show exceptional musical talent
- Students from the ‘inner area’ (maximum of 20) who are eligible for Pupil Premium.
Explanation of the ‘Inner Area’ and more details about the oversubscription criteria can be found here.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to The Latymer School
Parents should take note of the school and local authority’s application dates, as late applications will not be accepted. If parents do not complete the school’s entry form on time, their child will not be able to take the entrance exam.
The Latymer School 11 Plus Exam Format
The Latymer School 11+ test consists of two tests:
- Test One: Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning. All applicants will be invited to take this test, which is multiple-choice, with a total duration of around 60 minutes.
- Part Two: The English test is split into two sections. Section one lasts 30 minutes and will consist of a reading comprehension. Section two also lasts 30 minutes and will be a written paper, requiring pupils to tell a story and show a good level of writing skill.
The Maths and Verbal Reasoning test will be marked first. Only the top-scoring 650 candidates will be eligible to have their English paper marked and then places will be offered to the top 192 candidates, according the to the oversubscription criteria.
How to Prepare for The Latymer School 11 Plus Exam?
As a top-performing UK grammar school, competition for Year 7 places at The Latymer School is incredibly strong. The school is looking for academic talent and has set a two-part 11+ exam to ensure candidates are challenged and examined rigorously. With a good 11 Plus study plan, your child should be able to rise to that challenge and approach the exam calmly and confidently.
To prepare for The Latymer School 11+, make sure your child works on their Verbal Reasoning skills and read our 11 Plus guide to maths. Whatever your child’s current attainment, they can significantly improve by using practice exam papers. Any prior practice of the skills tested in the Latymer entrance exam will be of huge advantage to your child, so review the 11+ practice papers available.
We have an array of practice papers specifically designed to help your child build their confidence ahead of the Latymer School 11 Plus exam, in particular we would recommend:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Further info on Test 1
The trend of creating mixed-subject papers has been implemented already by GL Assessment in other regions such as Bucks and Kent. In these cases the Maths paper is 25 minutes long (with 5 minutes practice) and the Verbal Reasoning paper is 20 minutes long (with 5/10 minutes practice).
We anticipate that the Latymer paper (total time around 60 minutes) will be very similar in terms of timing and format as it is also created by GL Assessment using this new style. As such, if you want your child to practise a mock paper for Latymer, you could use the Maths and Verbal Reasoning sections of our Kent 11+ and Bucks 11+ papers as they will be very similar. Links are as follows:
Maths and Verbal Reasoning Sections only:
Test 2 is very similar to an open-answer independent school English exam. As such, we would recommend the following:
- 11+ English – Standard Format – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Standard Format – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Standard Format – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Standard Format – (Pack 4)
- 11+ English – Complete Comprehension Guide
- 11+ English – Reading Workbook
- 11+ English – Complete Writing Guide
- 11+ English – Writing Prompts
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 2)
Why do some of the recommendations above show me independent school papers?
The main difference between independent and grammar school papers is the question format. Independent schools usually assess with standard format questions, which means students need to write out full answers. Grammar schools usually use multiple-choice format questions.
Whilst The Latymer School is a grammar school, they actually use the independent school (standard) format for some of their exams, which is why they are included in the recommendations above.
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in The Latymer School 11+ past papers. The information provided about The Latymer School was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.