This article covers nine key things you need to know about the Tiffin 11+ Exam so you can prepare your child for success:
1) The Stage 1 exam at both schools consists of Maths and English tests. This will take place in late September / early October. The second stage exam also consists of Maths and English tests but in a different format. This will take place in November.
2) The Stage 1 English exam is multiple-choice. The Stage 1 Maths exam contains some multiple-choice questions but for most questions, students need to mark their answer on a grid as shown here. Having to mark your answers like this is quite unusual so it’s worth practising.
4) One of the more unusual question types that has appeared in the past relates to Paragraph Ordering. Students need to rearrange the jumbled paragraphs in a passage so that they are in the correct order.
5) The competition for places at both Tiffin schools is fierce. Each school receives around 1500 applicants with 500 or so called back for the Stage 2 test to compete for the roughly 180 places available.
6) The Stage 1 test is designed to be challenging as the schools need to identify the brightest candidates. Evidence from recent years suggests that students that can score 80-85%+ consistently in our practice tests in both subjects stand a good chance of making it through to the next round. This isn’t of course a guarantee either way but the data suggests a fairly strong correlation.
7) The Stage 2 English exam consists of both a comprehension and a writing task. The comprehension requires students to write out their answers in full sentences. Many of the questions are worth multiple marks and require longer responses. This guide covers all the question styles that are known to have come up in the past.
8) The Stage 2 Writing exam is based on a prompt. In one example from recent years, the prompt provided the last sentence of a story. Based on this, students had to complete the rest. We’ve identified seven of the key writing prompts that have come up in the past here. For each of these prompts, we’ve included multiple sample answers showing both high quality and low quality responses, with annotations.
9) The Stage 2 Maths exam contains plenty of multiple-step problems. The format is very similar to that of a challenging independent school exam. Some of the questions in this pack are actually based on problems that have come up in the Tiffin Stage 2 exam in previous years.
I hope you found this overview beneficial! Click the links below to learn more and view our recommendations for the Tiffin 11+ Exam:
Get 10% off orders over £70 and 20% off orders over £250. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.