Table of Contents
Devonport High School for Boys (DHSB) is located in Plymouth and is a boys’ grammar that educates approximately 1,135 pupils. Founded in 1896, the school admits pupils aged between 11 and 18. In 2002, it was one of just four schools in England to be designated as a specialist engineering college.
In 2007, Devonport was awarded High Performing Secondary Schools status for its language specialisms and Applied Learning. The school became an academy in 2011. Pupils are split between six houses: Campbell, Edison, Newton, Priestley, Smeaton and Winstanley.
11 Plus Exam Information for Devonport High School for Boys
Address: Devonport High School for Boys, Paradise Road, Stoke, Plymouth PL1 5QP
Admissions Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01752 208787
School Type: Boys’ Grammar
Number of pupils: 1,135 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 180
Open Day Date: July
Exam Date: September
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
Devonport High School for Boys 11 Plus Admissions
Devonport High School for Boys currently admits 180 pupils in Year 7. Admission to the school at this stage is determined by each pupil’s performance in the 11 Plus exam. Due to a wide catchment area that extends well beyond Plymouth, the school is very popular for Year 7 applications and so parents are advised to attend one of the school’s open days. At the event, you’ll have the opportunity to hear from the school’s headteacher and learn more about the admissions process.
Should the school be oversubscribed for Year 7 places, it uses the following criteria in order of priority:
- Pupils who are, or have previously been, in looked-after care.
- Pupils in receipt of the pupil or service premium at the date of testing
- Children of a member of staff who has been employed at the school for two or more years or children whose parents work at the school.
- The student’s mark in the English paper.
- Distance from the school, with those living closer to DHSB given priority.
Get more information about Devonport High School for Boys’ Year 7 admissions process.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to Devonport High School for Boys
Parents who wish to register their son to sit the entrance tests need to register with the school before the September exam dates. In the first instance, parents need to complete an online registration form.
Prospective DHSB pupils will sit the entrance exams over two dates in September and parents will receive results in mid-October. The results of the examination don’t confirm that a place will be offered; offer letters will be issued in March the following year and only then will you know if your child has been successful in gaining a place at DHSB.
Devonport High School for Boys 11 Plus Exam Format
Devonport High School for Boys’ 11 Plus exam consists of three tests:
- Creative writing paper, set by the school
The English and maths papers are both multiple choice, while the 40-minute Creative writing paper requires pupils to plan and write a piece of descriptive text. Pupils will be marked on sentence structure, punctuation, composition, spelling and vocabulary.
How to Prepare for the Devonport High School for Boys 11 Plus Exam?
Preparation for the Devonport High School for Boys’ 11 Plus exams needn’t be stressful. All you need is good organisation and the right resources. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the amount of 11 Plus advice online, then have a read our 11 Plus guide for parents – it’s a great place to start!
As DHSB’s 11 Plus exams focus on maths and English, we would also recommend taking a look at these articles:
Use the run-up to the exams as an opportunity to test your child with practice papers. An understanding of the exam layout and structure is vital if your son is going to feel comfortable under exam conditions.
Practice Papers for the Devonport High School For Boys 11 Plus Exam
For Devonport High School for Boys’ 11 Plus, we would highly recommend the following practice resources for your son:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Spelling – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Punctuation
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Sentence Completion
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Comprehension – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Inference Skills
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 1
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 2
- 11+ English – Complete Writing Guide
- 11+ English – Writing Prompts
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Spelling – (Pack 2)
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Devonport High School for Boys 11+ past papers. The information provided about Devonport High School for Boys was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.