Campbell College PPTC Transfer Test (11 Plus) Information
Table of Contents
Founded in 1894, Campbell College is an all-boys’ independent school located in Belfast. The school is a member of the Independent Schools Council and offers its 900 students the option of day or boarding.
Situated on a 100-acre campus, the school has the oldest Combined Cadet Force in Ireland. The school has a strong reputation in sport, particularly rugby, and offers pupils extensive sports facilities.
For and insight into what it’s like to study at Campbell College, take a look at this short promotional video:
Transfer Test Information for Campbell College
Address: Campbell College, Belmont Road, Belfast BT4 2ND
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 0289 076 3076
School Type: Independent Boys
Number of pupils: 900 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 8: 91 (approx.)
Open Day Date: January
Exam Date: November / December
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment and CEA Assessment
Campbell College Admissions
In the absence of a new transfer system following the old 11 Plus process, many post primary schools in Northern Ireland have continued to use a selective admission policy. Campbell College is one of 34 schools that form the Post Primary Transfer Consortium PPTC.
Admission to the College is determined by student performance in the PPTC Transfer Test, which is coordinated by GL Assessment. In cases where there are more applicants than available places, the following oversubscription criteria is used, giving priority to:
- Children who attended Campbell College Junior School.
- Children who have an older brother attending the College
- Children who have an older brother who is a past pupil of the College
- Children who have a sister currently enrolled in Years 8-14 at Strathearn School or Bloomfield Collegiate School
- Children who are the sons of employees of the College
- Children who are the sons of Old Campbellians
- Children who are the grandsons of Old Campbellians
For more information on the admissions process or oversubscription criteria at Campbell College, parents can contact the school directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0289 076 3076.
How to Apply for Year 8 Entry to Campbell College
Campbell College is a test centre for GL Assessment. The College holds a familiarisation day prior to the actual exam to allow children to meet supervising staff and become familiar with the administration on the day(s). The school also encourages parents to visit the campus before applying for a Year 8 place.
As every school in the PPTC uses the same entrance assessment, children only need to be registered for the test once. For students due to take the GL Assessment, parents should complete the registration form on the PPTC website. The site also provides guidance notes for parents on how to complete the registration form.
Campbell College Transfer Test Format
The Campbell College Transfer Test is set by the exam board, GL Assessment. Children will sit two multi-choice papers in Maths and English.
The maths paper lasts for 45 minutes and has 45 questions. The majority of the
questions are based on the school’s curriculum and are designed to test students’ understanding of mathematical concepts and processes.
The English paper lasts for 60 minutes and has 60 questions. The paper begins with three reading passages followed by comprehension questions (60% of total mark). There are then spelling and punctuation questions, followed by general questions (40% of total mark).
How to Prepare for the Campbell College 11 plus (11+) Transfer Test?
To give students the best chance of gaining a place at Campbell College, parents should create a detailed revision plan with them. Regular revision, little and often, can help students improve their exam technique and increase their subject knowledge.
Our practice exam papers come complete with answers, so parents can easily monitor their child’s progress as they embark on their new study routine.
Students preparing for the Campbell College eleven plus Transfer Test will find the following practice papers especially useful:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Spelling – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Punctuation
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Sentence Completion
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Comprehension – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Inference Skills
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 1
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 2
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Campbell College 11+ past papers. The information provided about Campbell College was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.