Table of Contents
Founded in 1960, Burnham Grammar School, known as BGS for short, is a co-educational grammar school that educates students aged between 11 and 18, located in Burnham, in Buckinghamshire. In 2011, the school gained academy status. Burnham Grammar is also a Specialist Science College.
The school operates a house system, where students compete throughout the academic year in various sporting and extra-curricular activities. Students are split over four houses, each named after an influential historical figure. The four houses are Winton (named after Nicholas Winton), Roosevelt (Eleanor Roosevelt), King (Martin Luther King, Jr), and Ali (Muhammad Ali).
For an insight into academic life at Burnham Grammar School, take a look at this short promotional video:
Secondary Transfer Test Information for Burnham Grammar School
Address: Burnham Grammar School, Hogfair Lane, Burnham, SL1 7HG
Admissions Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01628 604812
School Type: Co-educational Grammar
Number of pupils: 879 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 150 (approx.)
Open Day Date: June, September, October
Exam Date: September
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
Burnham Grammar School Year 7 Admissions
Year 7 admission to Burnham Grammar is determined by how pupils perform in the 11 plus Secondary Transfer Test. This 11 plus exam is designed to identify students with the aptitude and ability for an education at Burnham.
The test is produced by the exam board, GL Assessment and is administered by Buckinghamshire County Council as part of its co-ordinated admissions scheme. Burnham Grammar School is part of the Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools Consortium.
With 150 Year 7 places available at the school, competition for entry is high. However, as the school’s website states, in the last 5 years, all Year 7 students who live within 10 miles of the school have been allocated places.
As with all Buckinghamshire schools, applications for Year 7 places are handled by the local authority. Burnham Grammar School outlines its full admissions policy on its website. Further information on the Bucks schools’ admissions, can be found on the Buckinghamshire County Council’s website.
Further questions about the Secondary Transfer Test should be directed to the Admissions Team at the local authority, by emailing email@example.com, or by telephone on 01296 388222.
Burnham Grammar School also runs open events from late September through to October. These events provide parents and prospective students with the opportunity to learn more about what the school has to offer. The events also include a tour of the school, where parents and students can see its facilities, and speak to members of staff.
For more information on how to book one of the open events, please see the school’s current prospectus.
Although all students within the school’s catchment area typically receive Year 7 places, where there are more applicants than available places, the school gives priority to:
- Looked After, or previously looked after children
- Children who live within the school’s catchment area and qualify for free school meals
- Pupils who live within the catchment area in the year preceding admission
- Students who have a brother or sister that already attends the school
- Children with exceptional medical or social needs
- Students who qualify for Free School Meals
- Pupils who live closest to the school
Burnham Grammar also operates a waiting list when the school is oversubscribed. Pupils who are added to the waiting list are ranked again, in accordance with the school’s oversubscription criteria.
If students are refused entry on the basis that the school is full, parents can make a representation to an Independent Appeal Panel. For appeals information, please visit the Bucks County Council website, here.
Burnham Grammar School’s full admissions policy is available to download from their website.
How to Apply for Year 7 Entry to Burnham Grammar School
Students who currently attend a Buckinghamshire primary school are automatically registered to take the 11 plus Secondary Transfer Test, unless parents withdraw them from the testing process. However, parents do need to name Burnham Grammar School on their child’s Local Authority Preference Form and return it before the deadline date.
Students that live outside of the school’s catchment area need to be registered using the Bucks online application portal. Burnham School estimates that approximately 50% of its Year 7 population is made up of students from outside the catchment area.
Results of the Secondary Transfer Test are sent to parents before the end of October.
For more information on the Bucks admissions procedure, please contact Buckinghamshire County Council using the Admissions Team Contact Form on their website.
Burnham Grammar School Catchment Area
Does Burnham Grammar School have a catchment area?
Yes, there is a catchment area with priority based on location and distance from the school.
Burnham Grammar School Secondary Transfer Test Format
Burnham Grammar School uses the 11 plus Secondary Transfer Test for Year 7 entry. The exam consists of two test papers. The first focuses on comprehension, technical English and verbal reasoning. The second test paper is made up of non-verbal reasoning, spatial reasoning and maths questions.
All questions are multiple-choice and each test lasts approximately 45 minutes. The 11+ Secondary Transfer Test is weighted as follows:
- Verbal skills – 50%
- Non-verbal – 25%
- Maths– 25%
At Burnham Grammar School, the Secondary Transfer Test is taken by students in September of Year 6. The tests are also age standardised to ensure fairness to all students. For more information on the test dates at Burnham, please follow this link.
Although the Secondary Transfer Test does not have a pass mark, students do need to achieve a minimum qualifying score of 121 or above to be considered for a Year 7 place at Burnham Grammar School.
As with all other Buckinghamshire grammar schools, students will have the opportunity to take a practice test, two days before the actual exam, to familiarise them with the format of the 11 plus Secondary Transfer Test.
For more information on the Secondary Transfer Test, please see the Buckinghamshire County Council website.
How to Prepare for the 11+ Burnham Grammar School Secondary Transfer Test?
The sooner students start preparing for the Secondary Transfer Test, the more time they’ll have to improve any weak areas before test day. At Exam Papers Plus, we publish practice tests that help pupils prepare for grammar school entrance exams, like the 11 plus exam at Burnham Grammar. Introducing our tests early in a child’s revision can help identify their weak areas. Once parents know where their child needs to improve, they can adjust their revision schedule to suit.
Our practice tests also help familiarise students with the types of questions that they’re likely to be asked in the test. As the Secondary Transfer Test approaches, we’d advise students to take our papers under test conditions to get them used to answering questions quickly and under time pressure.
Practice Exam Papers for the 11+ Burnham Grammar School Secondary Transfer Test
For the Burnham Grammar School Secondary Transfer Test, we would highly recommend the following practice resources:
Full-length practice tests
- 11+ Buckinghamshire Practice Test 1
- 11+ Buckinghamshire Practice Test 2
- 11+ Buckinghamshire Practice Test 3
- 11+ Buckinghamshire Practice Test 4
- 11+ Buckinghamshire Practice Test 5
Subject and skill-specific practice resources
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Spelling – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Punctuation
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Sentence Completion
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Comprehension – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Inference Skills
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill Specific Practice
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Anagrams
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Analogies
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Codes
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Compound Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Embedded Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Form a Word
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Insert a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Move a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Shuffled Sentences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Synonyms
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Completion
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Match
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Opposites
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Puzzles
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Relationships
Full Practice Tests
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Burnham Grammar School 11+ past papers. The information provided about Burnham Grammar School was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.