Table of Contents
Bournemouth School for Girls is a girls’ grammar academy in Bournemouth, Dorset. The school admits girls aged between 11 and 18 and, since 2005, has been a humanities specialist school.
The school operates a house system with deputy captains that make up the Senior team. Within each house, girls are assigned different prefect positions in relation to sports, performing arts, and charities. Each house is named after an influential woman as follows: Jane Austen, Marie Curie, Rosalind Franklin, Rosa Parks, Christina Rossetti, and Mary Shelley.
The school offers a range of sporting activities including yoga, urban funk, golf and basketball. Like Bournemouth School, the girls’ school also has an active Combined Cadet Force, which is rare for a state-funded school.
For an insight into what it’s like to be a pupil at Bournemouth School for Girls, check out this promotional video:
11 Plus Exam Information for Bournemouth School for Girls
Address: Bournemouth School for Girls, Castle Gate Close, Castle Gate West, Bournemouth, BH8 9UJ
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 01202 526289
School Type: Girls’ Grammar
Number of pupils: 1108 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 162
Open Day Dates: July/September
Exam Date: September
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
Bournemouth School for Girls 11 Plus Admissions
Bournemouth School for Girls aims to provide a selective education to its pupils. Admission to the school in Year 7 follows the procedure as agreed by the co-ordinated admission arrangements.
Girls are admitted to the school based on their performance in the entrance examination, which is the same exam administered by the consortium. Although the exam is the same across every school, each has its own admissions authority and over-subscription criteria.
Bournemouth School for Girls encourages prospective students and their parents to attend their open evening, which takes place in July and September. Pupils will have the opportunity to meet the school staff and visit the school grounds.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to Bournemouth School for Girls
Parents who want to register their child with the school can do so by completing an online registration form on the school website. Paper registration forms are also available directly from the school.
Any late applications will be handled after all those received within the deadline have been dealt with. In cases where there are more applicants than available places in Year 7, the school uses its over-subscription criteria, giving priority to:
- Students who are, or have previously been in looked-after care.
- Those with the highest test scores
- Pupils who live in Bournemouth and are ineligible for a Pupil Premium grant.
- Those who live outside of Bournemouth and are eligible for a Pupil Premium grant
Bournemouth School for Girls Catchment Area
Does Bournemouth School for Girls have a catchment area?
Yes, they do. For Bournemouth School for Girls, priority catchment area is defined by the postal addresses of BH1 to BH11, in addition to the postcodes BH12 5xx, BH23 1xx, BH23 2xx and BH23 3xx.
Bournemouth School for Girls 11 Plus Exam Format
The 11 Plus exam at Bournemouth School for Girls consists of a Maths test, an English test and a Verbal Reasoning test. The exam is based one the KS2 curriculum.
Parents will be notified of the test results in October, which will indicate whether the student has attained the required score to be eligible for admission. It’s important to note however, that passing the 11 Plus exam isn’t a guarantee of entry to the school.
All three tests are in multiple choice format and last around 50 minutes each.
How to Prepare for the Bournemouth School for Girls 11 Plus Exam?
The best approach to studying for the 11 Plus exam is to adopt a ‘little but often’ approach. The sooner your child starts revising for the tests, the more time they’ll have to improve their weak areas.
At Exam Papers Plus, we’ve written several articles on studying for the exam. Some of which include:
- The 11 Plus English Exam: What You Need to Know
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Exam Preparation
- An 11 Plus Guide to Maths
- An 11 Plus Guide for Parents
It’s a good idea to create a revision timetable with your child to ensure that they cover everything they’ll need to know for the exam. In addition, we recommend introducing practice exam papers early in your child’s revision. Practice papers can help identify strengths and weaknesses and familiarise your child with the exam layout.
As exam day approaches, try doing timed practice papers with your child to help improve their time management skills and get them used to answering questions to a deadline.
We have several 11+ practice tests and resources that can help your child prepare for the Bournemouth School for Girls 11 Plus exam. We specifically recommend the following material that covers every element and question type that you can expect to come up in the actual exam:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Spelling – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Punctuation
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Sentence Completion
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Comprehension – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Inference Skills
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill Specific Practice
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Anagrams
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Analogies
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Codes
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Compound Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Embedded Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Form a Word
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Insert a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Move a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Shuffled Sentences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Synonyms
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Completion
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Match
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Opposites
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Puzzles
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Relationships
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Bournemouth School for Girls 11+ past papers. The information provided about Bournemouth School for Girls was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.