Table of Contents
Bournemouth School is a co-educational boys’ grammar school in Charminster, Bournemouth. The school admits pupils between the ages of 11 and 18. In 2011, Bournemouth School became an academy but kept its original name and uniform. The school is funded by the government, rather than the local authority and has close ties with Bournemouth School for Girls.
The school operates a house system to encourage pupils from all year groups to have good relationships. The houses compete in a range of competitions, including sports and academia. The five houses are: Darwin, Scott, Turner, Newton, Elgar. The school also has an active Combined Cadet Force (CCF), which is unusual for a state-funded school.
11 Plus Exam Information for Bournemouth School
Address: Bournemouth School, East Way, Bournemouth, BH8 9PY
Admissions Info: email@example.com, 01202 512609
School Type: Boys’ Grammar
Number of pupils: 1085 (approx.)
Number of Places in Year 7: 150
Open Day Date: July
Exam Date: September
Exam Board Type: GL Assessment
Bournemouth School 11 Plus Admissions
Admission to Bournemouth School in Year 7 is determined by pupil performance in the 11 Plus exam. There are currently 150 places allocated to Year 7 students. The school encourages prospective students and their parents to attend one of their open evenings, which take place in July. More information about the admissions process is provided on the night and students will have the opportunity to meet with staff and the Headmaster.
Once your son has taken the entrance exam, an application needs to be made through your local authority’s application system. In most cases, applications can be made online through your local authority’s website.
Any late applications will be handled after all those received within the deadline have been dealt with. In cases where there are more applicants than available places in Year 7, the school uses its over-subscription criteria, giving priority to:
- Students who are, or have previously been in looked-after care.
- Those with the highest test scores
- Pupils who live in Bournemouth and are ineligible for a Pupil Premium grant.
- Those who live outside of Bournemouth and are eligible for a Pupil Premium grant.
For more information on Bournemouth School’s admission criteria, please follow this link.
How to Apply for 11 Plus Entry to Bournemouth School
Parents of students who wish to register their son to sit the entrance tests, need to register with the school before the exam date. The registration form can be completed online.
Late registrations will only be accepted in certain situations, such as illness, bereavement, or other circumstances out with control of the parents.
For pupils who were registered after the closing date, there is an opportunity to sit the entrance exam once the first round of allocations is completed.
Bournemouth School Catchment Area
Does Bournemouth School have a catchment area?
Yes, they do. For Bournemouth School, priority catchment area is defined by the postal addresses of BH1, BH2, BH3, BH4, BH5, BH6, BH7, BH8, BH9, BH10, BH11, BH12 5, BH23 1, BH23 2 and BH23 3.
Bournemouth School 11 Plus Exam Format
The 11 Plus exam at Bournemouth School for Girls consists of an English, Maths, and Verbal Reasoning test. Each test paper includes questions typical to the KS2 national curriculum.
Parents will be notified of the test results in October, which will indicate whether the student has attained the required score to be eligible for admission. It’s important to note however, that passing the 11 Plus exam isn’t a guarantee of entry to the school.
All three tests are in multiple choice format and last around 50 minutes each.
How to Prepare for the Bournemouth School 11 Plus Exam?
It’s best to start preparing for the 11 Plus exam early. The more time your child has to study, the more time they’ll have to improve any gaps in their knowledge. We recommend a ‘little but often’ approach to studying for the entrance exam, by mapping out a study timetable. This way, you’ll ensure that your child covers everything they’ll need to know for the exam but won’t become overwhelmed by the workload.
At Exam Papers Plus, we’ve written several articles on studying for the exam. Some of which include:
- An 11 Plus Guide for Parents
- The 11 Plus English Exam: What You Need to Know
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Exam Preparation
- An 11 Plus Guide to Maths
We believe in introducing practice exam papers early in your child revision. Not only do practice papers help identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, but they can familiarise them with the layout of the tests and the types of questions they may be asked.
As exam day approaches, try doing timed practice papers with your child to help improve their time management skills and get them used to answering questions to a deadline.
Practice Papers for the Bournemouth School 11 Plus Exam
We have several 11+ practice tests that can help your child prepare for format, content and style of the Bournemouth School 11 Plus exam.
We specifically recommend the following resources which cover every element and question type that you can expect to come up in the Bournemouth 11+ exam:
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Spelling – (Pack 3)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Punctuation
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Sentence Completion
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Comprehension – (Pack 1)
- 11+ English – Grammar Schools – Inference Skills
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill specific practice
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 1
- 11+ Maths – Grammar Schools – Problem Solving Pack 2
Full Practice Tests
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 1)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 2)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 3)
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning – Grammar Schools – (Pack 4)
Skill Specific Practice
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Anagrams
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Analogies
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Codes
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Compound Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Embedded Words
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Form a Word
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Insert a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Letter Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Move a Letter
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Calculations
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Number Sequences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Shuffled Sentences
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Synonyms
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Completion
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Match
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Opposites
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Puzzles
- 11+ Verbal Reasoning: Word Relationships
Get 10% off orders over £60 and 20% off orders over £200. Use the code eppdiscount at checkout.
Our practice tests aim to show what sort of questions were included in Bournemouth School 11+ past papers. The information provided about Bournemouth School was believed to be correct at the time of publishing. However, please be aware of future changes. We advise you to contact the school directly if you are unsure of anything. School contact details are provided within the post.